Thursday, March 5, 2009

Eggs in Purgatory




This was really good! I did however overcook my eggs because at first I got impatient and then I walked away. I think next time I will fry and egg separately and then add it on top. I served this over rosemary hashbrowns.

From The Sopranos Family Cookbook

INGREDIENTS

1 clove crushed garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups canned tomato pure
4 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces or
1 pinch dried oregano
salt and pepper
8 large eggs
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese or Romano cheese

DIRECTIONS

In a medium skillet, cook the garlic in the oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes, or until lightly golden.

Add the tomato, basil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.

Break an egg into a small cup.

With a spoon, make a well in the tomato sauce.

Slide the egg into the sauce.

Continue with the remaining eggs.

Sprinkle with the cheese.

Cover and cook for 3 minutes (mine took longer), or until the eggs are done to your taste.

Serve hot.

I halved this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment