Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw



I was browsing recipes came across this Bon Appetit recipe. Honestly, this is something I would normally NEVER make. I decided to be adventurous and make it even though I didn't think I would even like it. But you know what...I did like it! I'm still shocked about it. I did make a fair amount of changes to recipe to accommodate my tastes and what I had on hand.

Adapted from Epicurious

INGREDIENTS

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin (I also added garlic powder and smoked paprika)
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 cups coleslaw mix (I just sliced up some cabbage)
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 flour tortillas
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Bottled chipotle hot sauce or other hot sauce

DIRECTIONS

Place beans and cumin (and any other spices you'd like) in a small bowl; partially mash. Microwave bean mixture for 1 minute.

Mix 2 teaspoons olive oil, lemon juice and white wine vinegar in medium bowl; add coleslaw, and parsley and toss to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper.

Heat 3 teaspoons olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tortillas in single layer. Spoon 1/4 of bean mixture onto half of each tortilla; cook 1 minute. Fold tacos in half. Cook until golden brown, about 1 minute per side.

Fill tacos with feta and slaw. Pass hot sauce alongside.

Here is the best part...its healthy!

Per serving: 232.6 (kcal) calories, 40.0 % calories from fat, 10.3 g fat, 2.7 g saturated fat, 11.1 mg cholesterol, 28.7 g carbohydrates, 5.0 g dietary fiber, 1.5 g total sugars, 23.7 g net carbohydrates, 7.5 protein

No comments:

Post a Comment