Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cauliflower Pie with Grated Potato Crust


This is neat way to use cauliflower. I did have a little mishap since my springform pan decided to leak once I poured in the milk and egg mixture. Next time I will use a pie plate. I did learn it was really easy to shred potatoes with my food processor...I see lots of hash browns in my future.

Adapted from Branny Boils Over, who adapted from The Moosewood Cookbook

INGREDIENTS

For the potato crust
2 cups packed grated raw potatoes (red potatoes)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg white, beaten

For the Filling
1 cup packed grated strong cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (or more cheddar)
1 medium cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 cup chopped onion
1 dash thyme
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
black pepper
paprika

DIRECTIONS

Combine grated potato with salt, onion, and beaten egg. Press into a 9″ pan (I used a 10″ springform) that has been brushed with oil. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 30-40 minutes until it browns. Remove from oven and lower temperature to 350*.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese over pie crust.

Meanwhile, saute chopped onion in a nonstick pan with thyme, basil, and salt. Add garlic and cook lightly. Add pepper to taste. Break cauliflower up into small florets Combine onion mixture with cauliflower and remaining cheddar cheese. Pour into prepared pie crust. Beat together milk with egg and pour over vegetable mixture. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Filling will appear dry.

Bake for 40 minutes until tender and delicious. Let set 5-10 minutes before unmolding (if using a springform pan

No comments:

Post a Comment