Thursday, March 10, 2011

Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies



I was really craving mint brownies. But I wanted to avoid having to buy extract or making a frosting which lead me to mint Oreos. When I stumbled across this Ina recipe I knew I would be a winner.

From Ina Garten*

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1/2 pound semisweet chocolate chips
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
1 tablespoons vanilla
1 cup, plus 2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup, plus 2 tbsp flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped Oreo cookies (25 cookies)

DIRECTIONS

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9"x13" baking pan.

In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. In a small bowl, stir Oreos and remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean; do not over bake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, until cold; cut into squares.

*This recipe is a halved batch from the original that I found here.

Recipe Rewind: Cake Cookies and Kit Kat m&m Cake


3 comments:

  1. Newest follower! Been browsing through your old posts, and you have some awesome recipes that I'm really excited to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mint oreos sounds like a fantastic idea for adding to brownies. Good thinking. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your brownies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete